Why is Self-care important for moms?
We have got it from our parents, and they form their parents – a pattern of putting children and others before our own self. Most probably this pattern has been running through ages, keeping children’s needs foremost and putting all personal needs behind. But the question arises, that does this pattern make you happy? Does your happiness impact your child’s well being too? Yes, of course, it does. So isn’t it important that you be happy and pass that on to the whole family? Removing time for personal self-care is not selfish, it is important. Moms need this self-care the most.
Planning your workout or hobbies within your busy schedule, makes you a role model for your children and teaches them a lot about planning and executing tasks. Inculcating good habits and teaching children to prioritize important things while differentiating and discarding unwanted items from the checklist.
Recognize the three most important areas of self-care you need to focus on as a mom:
- Physical self-care
- Mental self-care
- Social self-care
Happiness is infectious: Mental Self-care
If Mama is happy the whole family is happy. No grumpy faces while changing diapers or feeding or cleaning potty. She is involved in different activities with the child for growth and play. No fights with Daddy for household chores. So it’s important for Mama to find time to do things which she loves and make her happy.
How to achieve it:
1.Know signs of mental health issue
Most women experience postpartum depression after pregnancy. Some postpartum depression symptoms are feeling irritable, less or no sleep, feeling sad. If you are experiencing any of these don’t hesitate to talk to your physician and take necessary therapy.
2 . Holistic approach
Meditate, practice yoga. Inculcate a holistic approach toward life bringing in peace and positivity. Eating the right food and practicing meditation can bring in balance and fulfilment in your life
3. Avoid social media
Don’t overuse social media. Try reading a book or exercising during your free time, instead of using social media. While your baby is sleeping do not unnecessarily scroll through social media, liking and commenting on a friends post. Go and meet them. You might feel inadequate after comparing to other new mothers. Use this time wisely and give your mind and body some rest.
4. Always talk positive
Give your self a pat on the back for little achievements in your child’s growth. Talk positive, stay positive.
Stress can cause weight gain: Physical Self-care
Stress, exhaustion, burnout, and even illness can take more of a toll when you aren’t getting what you need. Physical self-care helps remove the stress hormones in your body, increasing your energy and decreasing fatigue.
How to achieve it:
1. Workout regularly
Maintain a workout regime. Wake up early in the morning(i know it’s hard), or in between feeds or during sleep intervals fix up your workout schedule.
2. Prioritize sleep
Always remove time for rest. Hand over the baby to Daddy or Granny and find time to sleep well. Good sleep alleviates stress, strengthens your immune system and boosts memory. Meanwhile, regularly skimping on sleep impairs cognitive function and puts you at risk for serious health conditions.
3. Limit your alcohol intake
Meet people – Social self-care
Social self-care is connecting with different people. A child can bring in a whole different perspective towards life, it can change you as a person. With a lot of newness entering your life, you may not find the time to connect to people. Humans are social animals, therefore social self-care becomes a necessary aspect to lead a healthy life.
How to achieve it :
1. Meet up with your girlfriends
Have a girls night out or a lunch date. Get out, get dressed have a hearty laugh, come back to your baby with the smile
2. Let others take care of your child
Hand over the responsibility to grandmom, daddy or baby sitter and get out for a bit.
3. Delegate work
At home divide work with your spouse. Trying to be superwoman and managing all household and baby chores will only lead to ignoring self-care. Ask for help from your spouse.
If at work – Delegate responsibility to your subordinate.
We all need to Rejuvenate ourselves once in a while!
Tips on how to rejuvenate one’s self:
1. Dress up: Go window shopping. Try out new clothes.Try out clothes from your own wardrobe. The abandoned top and shorts are calling you!
2. Lock yourself in a room and hand over the baby to Papa: Listen to music, surf the net, read a book. But cut yourself out. One rule – Don’t you dare feel guilty about it!
3. Meet your girlfriends: Wine and dine. Gossip. Bitch. Laugh. See a movie.
4. Change the routine: If you cook every day, then order food in. If your maid cooks, why don’t you try cooking something exotic.
5. Engage yourself in a fun activity: See TV, read a book, go dancing, swimming – the key is to be happy.
7. Explore your own city with a fresh eye: Go to touristy spots and see it with a fresh eye. Explore new restaurants, have breakfast outside
8. Click pictures, lots of them but don’t miss the moment: Capturing memories is the best thing ever. Don’t go around taking 100 pictures and selfies just because you have a digital phone.
9. Go for a walk: By the sea, if you are lucky to have one in your city or just walk around the park. You know nature is an awesome stress buster.
10. Take Longer bath: Get your favourite bathing gel output some light soothing music and transform your bathroom into a spa.